Wednesday, September 19, 2012

News!!!

Once I get into production of a show, the writing of the blog pretty much shuts down, so I apologize.
That said, I have one weekend left of Guards! Guards! and then a weekend off, and then.... (here comes the really awesome news!)

I'm going back to school!

I'm going to the Art Institutes International of Minnesota in their Fashion Design program. I still have to wrap up a placement exam and we're still waiting for all my transcripts from the other schools I've attended, so I can't register for class just yet, but I'll start on October 1st. I'm only going to take one class at a time for the moment, it'll be easier to pay for and because of my theatre schedule through July of '13. I don't want to overload myself right away. Perhaps when I'm done with the show in July I'll see about adding a class or going full time.

I've wanted to go back and get my degree (in Theatre Arts) but I'd have to either go back to La Crosse, WI and go there or start all over with a different program. Why? Because I have basically every credit in my major field of study completed and hardly any of my core curriculum done. Whichever school I would be attending locally, I'd have to take the majority of program-related courses where I plan to graduate. That would mean retaking (and paying for) a crap-ton of classes I've already passed. Even if I decided to switch from a performance major to a technical major.
So, I looked into art school. There aren't too many design schools here in the Minneapolis area with a fashion design program, but Ai just started one last year. They also have a film production major, so I'll still be hanging out with and making connections with people in my industry and I'll be able to learn those design skills that simply aren't taught in your basic theatre classes. Or they are, but not in any great detail.
I'm still working on my niece's baby blanket and I'm going to set up a time to take photos of my progress and how I do the preparation. I had wanted to make a video, but I don't really have a location that'll work for that, so I'll just take photos so I can stop putting it off.
That's the exciting news du jour! 


No comments:

Post a Comment